Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 6: May 30, 2012


May 30, 2012.

Day: 6    Daily Miles: 41.75    Total Miles: 271.75    Hours Hiking: 15    7:10am-10:25pm

Listen to the audio journal above or Download May 30th Audio File Here

Day 6
Relaxing at the Big Bear Hostel trail magic - Thanks!

May 30, 2012, Day 6, 2012. Coordinates 0513889 E 3795263 N. Today I hiked 41.75 miles. I'm at the total mile mark of 271.75, I'm just outside of Big Bear just past the highway, so if I looked over this ridge I'd see Big Bear and the lake and everything. Well today because of last night's night hike and I noticed I've got little bit of a cold, you kinda heard last night while I was recording this and then this morning I had green phlegm. But today, you know, was just not an energetic day whatsoever, I had a 10 mile climb, up a good 5,000 feet and then you're still up high all day, I mean I was at high elevation 8,000-9,000 for a majority of the day. I'm probably still at seven right now. So it was just hard, I was so slow.... I was at 26 miles at like 5 o'clock today which is terrible. I did get a little bit of a late start, but not that late of a start, but I don't know, it was just taking it out of me. For a good 2 hours in the afternoon, I was a zombie, I could not function. I mean I could function fine, but my mind was 'cloudy'. It was really strange. I had been listening to an audio book then I turned it off and I was just walking and I could think and I can do things, but there was just this haze it seemed. But I fixed it, or it fixed itself, or whatever. I have a slight headache now, so I'm probably dehydrated, that could have contributed to it as well. 
Treeline sunset just SE of Big Bear.
I've been trying to drink water, I love water, water is one of the best things going out here, that's for sure. It's such a luxury to have clean water any time you could ever possibly want in a house. Ya know, that is seriously luxury when you look at it from a trail prospective. Yeah I just kept going, and going, and going and got my 40. I stopped at 10:25 or so and made dinner. I'm ready for bed, I'm going to get some actual decent sleep tonight which should be good. Going to hit Deep Creek Hot Springs tomorrow but towards the end my day which will be awesome. Then Cajon Pass probably just before noon 2 days from now. So more or less on schedule probably a few miles behind, but we'll see how that turns out. For now I'm going to pass out...
View down into the Mojave Desert a few miles before the Hwy 18 crossing into Big Bear - 180 Panorama