Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pre-Hike: May 17, 2012


May 17, 2012.

Daily Miles: n/a     Total Miles: n/a     Hours Hiking: n/a     0:00am -0:00pm

Listen to the audio journal above or Download May 17th Audio File Here

May 17th, I'm driving back from Colorado to California to my parents’, to drop off all of my food boxes and actually do a little bit of preparation with them. It’s a good old-fashioned 20-some-odd hour drive across the desert, which I don't mind. It's nice. I've done the drive before and I love the southwest, so I can't complain too much. It gives you a lot of time to think about it {the hike}. I'm finally on my way back to the start...and in a week and 1/2 a day from now I will be on trail, starting a....ahhh...very difficult journey to say the least. *laughs* I..It's...I try and prepare myself and it, it’s, just like, WOW, that's a lot of miles in one day, and that's a lot of days consecutively...the average is supposed to be 46.2 miles per day for 60 days, in order to complete the trail...which will break the record by 4 days, but still...I mean that's...*laughs*... that's quite a feat and I know that the first week or two is going to be hot and I'm going to be sore because my body isn't going to be used to it day in and day out. I've trained a whole heck of a lot, but...you know, you can't train exactly for it, unless you do it. I couldn't train for hiking for 60 days unless I was to hike for 60 days prior to this. The other day while running, this build up before, it kind of feels like the analogy of you sitting at the rim of the Grand Canyon looking across this big vast open place and you saying 'well, I'm here and I need to get all the way across to the other side'. You are just waiting to start... you have to pick your own path and take it and that's where I'm at. One week to go. It's *laughs* I've prepared mentally as much as I think I can and it's going to be one of those, just take it day by day. I know how far I need to go, and I will deal with the problems and the little things as they come up. Just don't worry about them. Once I've got everything set, it's out of my hands really. That's all you can really hope for... Otherwise, it'll be enjoyable, not in the sense of being really really fun like a normal thru-hike, because you're hiking with other people and hanging out and literally making the most of a summer, but it will be enjoyable to me in the way of...it being a goal I've set and it's a goal I really want to achieve, and I like to push myself. So, in doing this, I'm really pushing myself, which no matter how I do, I'll know whether I can do it, whether I can't, where some limits are and what I am more capable of and generally know myself more. I mean I know I can push myself and push myself and push myself, and I've really as of yet to find a good breaking point and this, this might do it. This might be the thing that finally lets me know where I cannot go and what I cannot do. So, man, it'll be good. Spending 2 months of my life to do something that no one else has done before, basically. I think that's a fair trade. We'll see what I can do *laughs, see if I can break a record or two...