Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pre-Hike: May 18, 2012


May 18, 2012.

Daily Miles: n/a     Total Miles: n/a     Hours Hiking: n/a     0:00am -0:00pm

Listen to the audio journal above or Download May 18th Audio File Here
View from the Hat Creek Rim Overlook on trail.

May 18th, it's about 11am and I'm just driving through Old Station {on my way to my parents’}. I stopped off at the Hat Creek Scenic Overlook, where I know the trail crosses and hung out for a few minutes. I took some nice photos of the trail sign and Mt. Shasta to the north and Mt. Lassen is just right behind you to the south. Basically I did the math and figured out that at that point it's about 50 miles, or one day, past the halfway point. Standing there comes with such a strange, really strange thought that, literally a month from the day I start, if I stick to schedule, I will be 1300, almost 1400 miles north, at that specific point. And I can just foresee myself when I get there, thinking back that little over a month ago I was here in my truck with a whole bunch of shit, and now I've got just what's on my back. *laughs* It's...yeah. It's ridiculous to say the least. I don't know...it's cool though. I'm really, really excited to start and to do things like that and to have that other perspective. I'm almost to the parents’ house, to finish up my mail drops and finally see the place.

Mt Shasta and the trail marker at Hat Creek Rim Overlook.