Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 39: July 2, 2012 - New California Record!

July 2, 2012.

Day: 39   Daily Miles: 45.5   Total Miles: 1719.75   Hours Hiking: 16.5   6:55am-11:15pm

Listen to the audio journal above or Download July 2nd Audio File Here

Day 39

July 2nd, 4:05pm on the nose, no seconds, I crossed into Oregon, at the Oregon/California border on the trail {Pacific Crest Trail} that's marked. This makes 38 days, 10 hours even for my trek from Mexico, all the way through California to the Oregon/California border. I started on May 25 at 6:05am, that's the math. I actually had to run to make that time, and I tried to record it on my camera via video, but I guess I didn't hit record the first time, so the actual video I have is about 1:23 off, or something like that, when I realized that I wasn't actually recording. That's a big relief for me to get across the border and into Oregon.

Success! A new entire California record. 38 days 10 hours.
July 2, Day 39. I started off at Bee camp, and made it all the way until the ridge dropping down to I-5, about, I believe 6-8 miles above I-5, just about a half mile after the first big paved road crossing. We were at mile 1719.75, for a total of 45.75 miles that day. We stopped at about 11:15pm at a flat spot before a dirt road, at coordinates 0525515 E 4657805 N. Yesterday wasn't the best of days, but it wasn't by any stretch a bad day. We...lets see, starting off in the morning, we pretty much had a downhill to a saddle where, my dad knowing out schedule and where the trail is, had driven up there and camped and was hoping to cook us breakfast, which he did, so that took as an hour of more trail magic and hanging out. So that put us behind. We started at about 6:50, and now were were an hour behind. We started the day off kind of late, then it just seemed to be a day of constant up. Whether or not I'm forgetting all of the downhills which I don't believe there were a whole lot of, it really never seemed to go down. Even the downhills seemed to have ups in them. Anyways, we were all full and sluggish and tired from the night before, staying up late and hiking a big big climb, which really can take it out of you. So, we both weren't feeling top notch, Mouse and I that is. So we, just chugged along. There is a climb right out of that saddle that is long and it puts you on this ridge that never really goes down, but steadily go up..up, up, up, up... and work your way towards the east. We still had views of Mt. Shasta and we hit a few snow patches in the shade, nothing too bad. Come about 3pm, we were at mile 22 on a 2 mile downhill stretch. We had lunch in this somewhat open knoll/plain area which I had remembered about from my previous hike. It had a great view of Mt. Shasta. Then, you drop down pass a couple springs, which are the only water source since a few streams way back where we stated. There were a bunch of cows around, so I'm a little paranoid because it's one of the places I think I may have contracted giardia from in 2009, because I didn't treat my water from one spring in this area. So I passed the springs, got some water, and then we were only a couple miles away from the seeing what time it was, it was likes 3:30pm with 2 miles to go, I said 'alright, lets see
Morning ridge traversing on top of the Seiad Valley climb.
if I can make it by 4pm'. So I started to move out, I passed Mouse and started jogging, literally in the parts where I could and hiking as fast as I could...and I just barely made it. My goal was to try and make it within the 9 hour mark for the day, even if it was 9 hour 59 minutes and 59 seconds..which I did barely miss. It's on of those things I'm OK with because it actually turn out spectacularly well to be an even 38 days and 10 hours. Basically I have my GPS out, which I'm using for the time {since it gets the time from satellites} I'm looking at the GPS and I'm close by but a the same time I'm 30 feet away and I've got like 13 seconds until 4:05pm, which 4:05pm, when you do the math from when I stated, I started at 6:o5am, so it's an even hour figure. And 4 and 6, when you do the math, it's 10 hours, because it's two hours behind 6pm, which is a 12 hour difference. So, seeing the time, I just sprint with my camera out, trying to record the time and the border marker and everything and I guess I didn't hit the actual record button. It was on and ready, but it didn't record. So here I am literally running the last 30 feet up to the marker and I'm talking to it before a minute before it shuts off, because it's not actually being used...and I was like "Ohh no!" So, I have to turn it back on and hit record and start recording again at about 1:30 later. But I made it there. My feet were actually starting to hurt a lot. I have...actually once I got all of my pictures taken and things recorded and all that kind of nonsense, I sat down and had to do some foot maintenance, which took about 15 minutes, but I finally found two blisters underneath and around my previously large callus blisters...or I've had two blisters, two big long blisters right on the outside edges of my heel, under my heel callus from way back, I'm not quite sure how long ago, but there were two new blisters that had cropped up. On the left foot, it was above the old blister callus, kind of in it/behind it and the right foot was below the old callus blister and behind it. I had to sit know I've been feeling it for 4-5 days now, it's been kind of sore, but not to any point of needing an attention. Whereas today, they were starting to turn on fire. I popped
them, they started feeling, but once I stated walking on them, it was like walking on fire. For the first mile and a half I was probably going like 1.5-2 MPH, just because it hurt. i was just trying to focus, to clear my mind, don't think about it. And so, I kept trekking. Once you hit the border, you have to go uphill for a little while to get to the top of a ridge where you drop down. The entire time my foot just hurt. At the top we hit a big snow cornice/snow bank and had to do a big detour on lose rock. That hurt. Finally I was like screw this, so I stopped and I had some caffeine and some ibuprofen and after that they felt alright *laughs*. So that was great. It was getting late in the evening and we knew we were going to have to hike late to make some miles, because Mouse is going into town and he wanted to make it in early so he could make it out early. So, we knew we were going to hike late, so we had to hike more briskly, so we could try and make it earlier. We got over the pass and went down to Sheep Camp Spring, which was awesome, really nice water coming out of the pipe. Kept on heading down, down, down, down...up and around this little ridge, which I had remembered as being harder than it actually was, it was just longer than I had remembered. Then down again, then up this loonnngg climb to the ridge line that connects you over to Mt. Ashland. By this time, it is a full moon out, I think, maybe it's the 3rd, but we hit the ridge line and slowly, slowly traversed down and over to Mt. Ashland itself. There was no trail magic, which I had been hoping for. There had been some in 2009 at the top of one of the these little ridges. O'well it must be too early or they aren't doing it anymore. By this time it's dark and we're just trucking along. It's windy and cold and we just want to get out of the open space into the trees and down in elevation and everything will be better. 
Oregon sunset, climbing Mt. Ashland.
Which we eventually did. To my chagrin there were hidden ups within these downhills. It's like 'take me down, I don't want to go up!' But, we steadily plodded on and made it to where we camped out by about 11:15pm. We were both pretty damn tired. and immediately said 'screw it, that looks like a good spot' and didn't care how flat it was and set up camp. I went to be at probably 12:05am after cooking dinner, getting my plans set for tomorrow and all my food ready. It was a bit chilly and breezy, even where we were at in the trees. We woke up and we were kind of on the edge of the fog. We're on a ridge, so down off to the north is Ashland and that whole valley was filled with fog, and off to the south where Mt. Shasta is...I can actually see it right now as I walk, is all clear. We were on the ridge, the separating line between fog and not fog, so we got a bit of moisture during the night and it kind of kept it pretty cold, but otherwise, it wasn't too bad. Today it's just a downhill to the I-5 saddle and I think I'm going to try for a 50 and get to the hut I stayed in last year. It's almost 50 miles exactly, so if I stay on it, it looks pretty flat, I should be able to make it.
About 5 miles from the OR border looking back S-SW from where we just came - behind the lefthand ridge.